As Nevada Farm Bureau's Young Farmer's and Rancher's We Are the Voice of Agriculture

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

September is National Chicken, Honey and Rice Month!!

Welcome September (okay, techincally this post is a couple of days ahead)  Can you believe it is already here?  I think I was just barely blogging about spring and now we are edging into fall! 

So, did you know that September is National Chicken, Honey and Rice Month???  Okay, so not all together, but each of the three claims September as it's month to be celebrated and acclaimed nationally--so how could I possibly clebrate this???  Well, of course, by sharing with you my favorite combination of all three!!

Honey Lemon Chicken Kabobs (Over Rice)
Okay, so this can either be lemon or lime, your preference, I just usually always have lemon juice on hand.  So, take about 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (Sorr,y I am not really good with detailed recipes, I usually just kind of throw stuff together and see what I get)  Slice them in thin strips.  In a zip-lock gallon bag add 1 cup of Honey, 1/4 cup of lemon or lime juice and a 1/3 cup of Soy sauce.   Add the chicken to marinate for at least an hour, but not more than about three.  Then stick them on your kabob sticks, get your grill hot, turn down to medium, and grill evenly on both sides until done.  You can boil your remaining marinade to kill any bacteria and the use it as a baste for even stronger flavor while grilling. 

We stir fry or steam up veggies and serve with long-grain brown rice (we rarely use white rice, and while it took a little bit of adapting to when we first switched over, I am glad my kids were young and never noticed that once again mom was trying to get them to eat healthier!!)  and a fight usually ensues over who gets the last few morsels of chicken.  I have yet to find anyone who didn't like these. 
 So, what better way to celebrate a month of CHICKEN, HONEY and RICE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment