As Nevada Farm Bureau's Young Farmer's and Rancher's We Are the Voice of Agriculture

Friday, February 3, 2012

Dept of Labor Considering Child Labor in Ag again.....

Please take the time to voice your opinion on this matter--check out this site

http://www.keepfamiliesfarming.com/

This is too important of a fight to give up--my kids are just getting to the age where they could be replacing my cousins in helping my grandpa and uncle during the summer--and I strongly feel the government has no business telling me that they can't be a part of the family business, especially when it is something they love and want to be involved in.

If more kids were raised on farms, working from their youth, I truly believe our world would be a better place, a place like it used to be, where work ethic, integrity and values were instilled in the fields and from sun-up to sun-down.  I remember working for my grandpa as a teenager and being amazed that I could not keep up with someone in his late 60's-early 70's and learning so much from his example.  Agriculture is generally a family based business where we learn it young.  I cannot tell you how many teenager my grandpa has employed through the years and how many still to this day are great friends of his because of the opportunities they were given.  My husband's first jobs were the same, working for neighboring farms, and something that is still a big part of who he is.   If this is not conveyed to the Deopartment of Labor, we could lose this all for good.

also, check out our former AFBF National YF&R Chair, Chris Chinn, sharing her voice in the matter:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid78974425001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAFSNYN8~,po2BnGhdismrtOMnpzTWS-i0olzJ0nh3&bctid=1430020544001

No comments:

Post a Comment